I'm on top of technology

>> Monday, October 26, 2009

Yup, you read that one right. For once, I got something the day it came out. Jealous? You probably shouldn't be. Jason & I got a new HP computer complete with Windows 7 on it. I would like to say it's because we're hip and cool and totally into all the hot new technological stuff.

But alas, I'd be lying.

The fact is, we HAD to buy a new computer. You see, I bought my old Dell laptop in February of 2005, my first semester of graduate school. It was a really good computer when I bought it and I even invested in the 4 year warranty plan because I knew my brand-spanking-new laptop would have to get me through school while I was poor. Nearly a year and a half after graduating, Jason & I were still using the slow beast, cursing it's molasses-like page loads and start-ups. But it worked so that meant we didn't have to spend money.

And then on Tuesday, the old Dell tried to commit suicide. We think the fan stopped working and in essence, the motherboard was frying itself like my eggs over easy. After calling some computer techies and finding out that they were nearly cursing me for calling about a dinosaur of a laptop, I informed Jason that we were going to have to buy a new computer.

I had no idea how much laptops cost these days. I spent about $2,200 on a great laptop almost 5 years ago. We were not looking forward to investing that kind of money again. We just wanted something that could get us through the tough times we're having. So, after researching a few places, we trekked to Best Buy and found this computer for $499. Not too shabby! It wasn't the most expensive computer, but we knew the brand name and it had a gajillion times more memory than my suicidal Dell.

The problem was that we had to wait until Thursday until we could take it home. Microsoft had their "hard release" of Windows 7 that day and there was no way in hell I was taking home Vista. I'm an XP lovah for life, yo. The day and a half that we were without the Internet was horrible. We didn't realize how much we depended on it and how many of our important files were stored where we couldn't access them if the computer were down.

Now we've had the computer for a few days and as Mickey D's says "I'm lovin' it!" This thing is fast and fun! I'm still figuring out the differences between XP and Windows 7, but I'm making progress. I just used the SD card reader on the laptop and it was so much easier than hooking up the camera and reinstalling its software. The only problem so far is that I've found my old printer circa 1998 isn't compatible anymore. I guess that shouldn't come as a surprise. Oh well, we can't be on top of everything these days can we. I guess that only leaves one question to be answered now.

Is it dumb that our laptop has HD but our TV doesn't?

1 comments:

Faith October 27, 2009 at 8:19 AM  

I bought my laptop when I started grad school and it's killing me with it's slowness. I even transferred a ton of stuff over to an external hard drive to help it out some. It didn't. What's funny is that I gave my parents my old laptop from 2002. That thing is a beast! It probably weighs 20 pounds, but it's still working. It's crazy to think that my laptop is 5 years old and is so out of date.

Oh and yes I think it's horribly sad that your computer has HD and your TV does not. That also really makes me want to go out and buy a new laptop now. I'd love an SD card reader. I thought my new comp was fancy with it's 4 USB ports! Haha! Don't ever get an HDTV. You'll become addicted. I'm such an HD snob.

Post a Comment

  © Blogger template Webnolia by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP