Book Review!

>> Thursday, July 23, 2009

I'm way behind on my book reviews. I've read several good books recently. The first is The Chronicles of Narnia.

Image courtesy of here.

I read this series as a kid once before and loved it. It is a Christian-themed book although I never realized the parallels as a child. I remember loving to read about the Talking Animals and the adventures that the children would have spontaneously. Each book is an easy read for an adult and I breezed through them. Of course, I breeze through books anyway since I can never find a stopping point. I haven't seen the newest movies on these, so I can't tell you how accurate they may be. When I was a kid and we didn't have cable (can you imagine such a thing?), I used to watch Narnia on PBS. I may just like these stories because they put me right back in third of fourth grade when I read them. Worth the read!

The next book I read was Eragon.

Image courtesy of here.

I saw Eragon the movie a couple years ago and surprisingly, really liked it. I didn't even know it was a book first until recently. I had been waiting for a sequel to come out (which will probably never happen) anxiously! This book is about a boy and a dragon egg he found. He learns how to be a dragon Rider and fight for things he believes in. This book was really LONG! Like, somewhere between 700-800 pages long! And it was written by a 19-year-old. Can you believe that? The book was a little hard for me to get into, but once I did, I really enjoyed it. It's very much a mythical fantasy-type book which I normally wouldn't read, but it was good. Be prepared to read an immense amount of detail, making eveyrting the writer talks about easy to picture.

The next book I read was Shopaholic Takes Manhattan.

Image courtesy of here.

I read the first Shopaholic book a few months ago. You can read that review here. When I first started to read this book, I was highly irritated by the silly and flighty ways of lead character Rebecca Bloomwood. I think this was because I had just finished reading two "heavier" books so the switch to a "lighter" read was a bit more difficult. After I eased up and read further in, I became less irritated but still never truly loved the story. It's a typical girl has boy, girl misreads boy, fights with boy and wins boy back. Blah blah blah. It wasn't a bad book, but I definitely wasn't in the mood to read it. I'm not sure I'll keep following this series. But if you like light reads, do give it a try!

The next book in line was The Other Boleyn Girl.

Image courtesy of here.

I LOVED this book. Completely LOVED it. I've haven't read many historical-based books, but this one is a must-read. Never saw the movie, so again, I can't tell you how well it follows, but it can't be as good as the book. It was a nice, long novel that gave insight on how the conversations must have gone between Anne Boleyn, her sister Mary and her brother, George as Anne makes her rise to the throne of King Henry VIII. I couldn't put this book down and even Jason was trying to sneak a read off of my shoulder. The basic history stays true as the author did much research while writing. I highly recommend this book!

The last book I have to talk about is Hide.

Image courtesy of here.

This was another great can't-put-it-down-until-I-finish-book. It's about a girl who's been hiding and running from them her whole life but doesn't know who they are or why she has to hide. This book grips you as soon as you begin the first page and you won't want to put it down until you've read the entire story. I highly recommend this book as well!

0 comments:

Post a Comment

  © Blogger template Webnolia by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP