Catching up, part 2

>> Monday, November 16, 2009

After my family left, Jason & I cleaned up around the house and prepared for the next weekend. I met with my friend Stacy on Thursday to help her complete some details for her sister's baby shower on Saturday, the 7th. We were making her sister a mum for her to wear when Stacy's husband Javi text messaged her. He is active National Guard right now (after serving many years in the army) and was at training. He told us about the Fort Hood shooting...this was probably just 20 minutes after it happened.

After hearing about this, my heart sank. Not only did I feel horrible for the people who might have been injured, but I also knew that my brother had gone to Fort Hood a few days prior to visit some injured soldiers in his unit. He's stationed out of Fort Hood. I immediately called my dad and asked him if Houston had come home yet.

He didn't know. I told him to turn on the news and he said to call my mom's cell phone (my brother had it) but not to call mom until we knew something. I called the phone and he had been home for just a few hours. He had left Fort Hood just before 7am that morning and hadn't heard the news yet. After calling Dad back to tell him Houston was okay, I finished up with Stacy and then went home.

I came home, read the news more in-depth, and cried. This one was just too close to home for me. Soldiers aren't supposed to die in their own house where they should be safe. They never even see it as a possibility. Knowing that that could have been Houston in their place scared the hell out of me. I'm so grateful for the blessings in my life. I have prayed so much for those families that have lost their loved ones. I truly hope that they will get the justice they deserve.


fah November 16, 2009 at 11:53 AM  

To lighten the subject some - we had a scare because my Grandpa was on Ft. Hood that day. Thankfully it was one of his bi-weekly bowling days and he was at the bowling alley with all his other old vet friends. He was locked in until about 7 pm, but they let them bowl all day for free and gave them all the free soft drinks they wanted. I can only imagine what those old guys were thinking and talking about the whole time they were there. I'm sure there were some great stories told! My dad and I joked how scary it would have been for someone from outside to walk in and they were all napping. It probably would have freaked that poor person out! Glad your brother is ok!

Stephanie November 16, 2009 at 1:45 PM  

That is scary! I'm glad he's okay too and that they were nice to him!

Post a Comment

  © Blogger template Webnolia by 2009

Back to TOP