Yummy banana bread!

>> Tuesday, October 14, 2008

I had some bananas that were getting too old, so I decided to try my hand at banana bread. I found a clean eating version in my new favorite cookbook, The Eat-Clean Diet Cookbook. The results were wonderful, if I do say so myself! Here's the recipe for those who are interested:


BANANA APPLESAUCE BREAD

Ingredients:
1 cup all-pupose flour
1/2 cup whole-wheat flour
1/2 cup amaranth flour or flour of your choice
1/2 cup packed brown sugar
1 Tbsp baking powder
1 tsp cinnamon
1/4 tsp baking soda
4 egg whites, beaten until fluffy
1 cup mashed bananas
1/2 cup buttermil or skim milk soured with 1 Tbsp lemon juice
1/3 unsweetened applesauce
1 tsp vanilla
1/2 cup chopped walnuts
1/2 cup raisins
1 Tbsp grated orange zest
Cooking spray

Preparation:
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Lightly coat a 9 x 5-inch loaf pan with cooking spray and dust with flour.
2. In large bowl, combine dry ingredients. In another medium bowl, beat egg whites until fluffy. Prepare soured milk at this time if using instead of buttermilk. Then pour bananas, buttermilk (or soured milk), applesauce and vanilla into a large bowl.
3. Add dry ingredients to wet and mix until just blended. Fold in egg whites, then add walnuts, raisins and grated orange zest. Pour into prepared loaf pan. Bake for 55 minutes.

~Makes 10 servings

Nutritional value per serving:
Calories: 211; Calories from Fat: 32; Protein: 5g; Carbs: 40g; Dietary Fiber: 1g; Sugars: 17g; Fat: 3g; Sodium: 34mg

Here's what I used:

I used Oat bran flour for the flour of my choice. I also soured my skim milk rather than buy buttermilk that would never get used. I only had cinnamon applesauce so that went in instead of plain applesauce. It took about 2 bananas to make 1 cup. I think that next time I make this, I will add a little more banana. Although I loved the bread, I think it could use a little more banana flavor. Here's my yummy bread (don't mind my horrible photography skills):

0 comments:

Post a Comment

  © Blogger template Webnolia by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP