Muddy Buddy & C25K

>> Sunday, February 15, 2009

A few weeks ago, my friend Deseere told me about a race called Muddy Buddy that she and her friend, Shawna, decided to do. It intrigued me because it included running, biking, obstacle courses and finally, a crawl through mud to the finish line. It sounded fun and different to me so I called up my friend Shana to see if she'd be interested. Oh, did I mention that there is free beer at the end? Her exact email back to me was this:

I'm in, but I need to know:
1. Can you run 3 miles?
2. Do you own a bike?
3. What does it cost?

It was something to that effect, anyway. I couldn't find her exact reply, so we'll just go with that. My answers to her were:

1. Not now, but maybe by then.
2. No.
3. $75 per person

As I typed out my reply, I could already feel her laughing. She knows I hate running with a passion, so I'm sure this email came to a surprise to her. The most I've ever run at one time was about 2 miles when I was in track in Junior High. And I sucked. Royally, in fact. Contrary to popular belief, not all people with long legs are fast. We tall people are awkward and it's hard to get the legs moving. (I can hear Shana contradicting me now since she's 5'9" and Little Miss Runner). But I told her I would do it, so we signed up. Our team name is "Running for Booze." You gotta love that!

I've always wanted to be able to run. I've tried on a several occasions, but it's always been hard on me. I consider myself to be in great shape since I'm doing 30 minutes of cardio 5 times a week plus full-body weight-training 3 days a week. Even though I don't have trouble on an elliptical, I do have trouble running. I've gotten to where I can make about 10 minutes on the treadmill, but that's about it. My doctor diagnosed me with exercise-induced asthma, so I take my Proventil inhaler about 15 minutes before I work out on cold days. Warmer days don't seem to bother me nearly as much. Even with the inhaler, I've still only managed 10 minutes. So, I decided to try a new approach to learning to run outside: the Couch to 5K program.

The Couch to 5K program (C25K) is a nine-week program designed for new runners to learn how to run properly. It tells you exactly what to do and you do it 3 times a week. I thought this would be a good way (and incentive) for me to learn to run in time to prepare for the Muddy Buddy competition in May. I ran for the first time today. Today's workout was:

  • Walk briskly for 5 minutes
  • Alternate running 60 seconds & walking 90 seconds for a total of 20 minutes
  • Walk briskly for 5 minutes
I downloaded Robert Ullrey's podcasts to help me along. Listening to someone tell me when to run or walk eliminated my obsessive need to check my watch/iPod constantly. I started off walking in our neighborhood (which is small) and then ran the first 60 seconds. It wasn't so bad. The next few 60-second runs aren't too bad until I get to about the 7th interval. This one was tiring. When I got to the final 60-interval, I thought I was going to die! I was right back at the house by that point, so instead of the 5-minute walk, I went inside, filled a glass of water, and collapsed on the couch.

My lungs and chest were burning, worse than when I was at the gym running on the treadmill. It wasn't cold outside; it was in the 60s and very humid. My airway burned so bad and I was coughing. I know that it's the asthma, but I don't know how to make it stop. I can only take the Proventil before I work out and can't take it again for 4 hours which is too late by then. I'm hoping that my body was just going through shock since I was running outside. It wasn't my legs that were giving out on me, it was my chest. Maybe this will improve by May and it's just a breathing problem. I hope so, because I really want to do a 5K. I know that I will never be a fast runner, but I will be happy to be able to just run it. Wish me luck and I will certainly update each week of the C25K program. Advice from runners is most appreciated!

5 comments:

Anonymous,  February 19, 2009 at 10:48 AM  

Advice from runners: reward yourself with ice cream afterwards! :)

Anonymous,  February 26, 2009 at 3:24 PM  

Yes, I know I'm AWESOME. There will definitely be ice cream after the race...or maybe even a snow cone! ;) Shana

Monica Benavidez December 23, 2009 at 3:55 PM  

Faith told me to come read this post (I do read your blog, but I didn't in February!), and I am SO happy I am not alone.

Running sucks.

Off to go find some ice cream. :-P

Stephanie December 23, 2009 at 4:17 PM  

You're totally not alone. Running is a struggle. I still haven't done a 5K. :( Oh well. We can all succeed at other things. :) Have some ice cream and don't feel bad about it!

Post a Comment

  © Blogger template Webnolia by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP