Reality just b*tch-slapped me in the face

>> Tuesday, February 23, 2010

On Saturday, my sister and her friend Sarah were in town. We visited my cousin and then spent the afternoon at my grandma's house. I hadn't seen her in quite a while and neither had my sister. After I dropped my sister off, I came home to an empty house and decided to take it easy and watch some shows on the DVR. It had been a pretty good day.

Until Jason came home.

Remember when I said that we had roughly 8 or 9 months left of savings to live off of? Well, reality suddenly hit Jason. He has a company that wants to hire him, but is trying to find an open position. He should hear something about that this week. He has also applied to a few other places which we should also know about shortly. So J told me that if nothing pans out in the next two weeks, then we had some really important decisions to make. Here's what he told me:

  1. Find some type of job that would pay enough to keep us afloat. (Easier said than done, obviously)
  2. Find a renter so we can rent the house out and live with his parents in town.
  3. Sell the house so we don't ruin our credit in case we lose the house in 9 months.
  4. Turn off everything, move in with Jason's parents and hold onto the house for a little longer provided we both find minimum wage jobs.
Now you may thing that the last thre choices are drastic. So did I. Believe me, I didn't want to think that this could possibly happen to us. But Jason's right. In this economy, it would take us nearly 9 months to sell our home and hope that we got what we paid for it. Renting would be hard because of the price we would have to charge in order to make the mortgage payment, taxes and insurance and not lose money. Finding a minimum wage job would help us hold onto the house longer as long as we could get our absolute minimum bills paid (mortgage, student loans, insurance, etc.) but it would still mean moving. This is such a harsh reality that has hit me in the face full-force.

How could this happen to us? We don't have any debt but our mortgage and student loans. We've always paid off our credit cards. We're both educated with degrees. The sad reality is that our economy stinks. And it's something that we can't change no matter how hard we wish it to be different. I know that many other families have been in our situation, but I don't know any personally. That part makes it hard because we feel very alone.

My plan is to call up some friends and see if they can get me hired at least as part-time help.  I don't want option 1 or 2 to happen. I've waited to do this because I keep hoping that I will get hired somewhere. It's hard for me to do this because I worked so hard to finish my Master's degree. I thought I would be doing something more. But things are what they are and only Jason and I can change. I am hoping that by the time this post is up that I will have something to report. Please keep Jason and I in your prayers. We are going to need them.

P.S. For those of you who just started reading this blog, the bathroom renovations had been completed for quite a while. The materials had been bought way in advance with money we had put aside for that project.

3 comments:

Shana February 23, 2010 at 11:50 AM  

Steph- I'm bringing you wine...TODAY. And lots of it. OK, maybe not, but I want you to know I'm thinking about you guys.

Jayme February 24, 2010 at 10:09 AM  

I'm always on the look-out for job opportunities for you. Hopefully you'll find something soon. Until then I'll keep praying for you guys!

Anonymous,  February 27, 2010 at 7:15 AM  

I know that this is not your dream job, but have you thought about Child Protective Services, the pay is ok and the benefits are excellent! They are hiring right now. Here is the website to check the jobs out - https://rm.accesshr.hhsc.state.tx.us/ENG/careerportal/default.cfm

Post a Comment

  © Blogger template Webnolia by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP