What's been going on?

>> Monday, December 1, 2008

Glad you asked. A few weekends ago, Jason & I visited our friends Sylvia & Jake in College Station. We decided to head out to the Renaissance Festival in Plantersville and had an awesome time! Details will be in a later post when I get all my pictures together.

Thanksgiving was yummy. This year, we hosted T-giving at our house. Since Jason's brother had to work, it was only his parents and us. I got up at 6am to put the turkey in the oven. Jason finally got out of bed when I yelled that the turkey was still frozen. He made his way into the kitchen and helped me out. Luckily, the bird was only frozen partly. And by partly, I mean the neck, gizzards and the general opening where I had to get those nasty parts. So, Jason ran the guy under some lukewarm water and solved the problem quickly. The turkey went in the oven and proceeded to tease Cassius with the scent for the next 5 and a half hours.

I also made a pumpkin pie and some crust to envelope some extra peach cobbler filling that my friend Shana had left over. Everything turned out well and our bellies were full.

After T-giving dinner, we collapsed instead of packing. Somehow, a few hours later, we got it together to pack our suitcases and get on the road to visit my parents. We arrived very late and pretty much went straight to bed.

The next day, we sampled Mom and Dad's T-giving dinner leftovers. That afternoon, we decided to go to Crossfit in Corpus and got our butts kicked. Crossfit is a unique workout that tests your strength and endurance. That day's workout was:

  • 3 Clean lifts (I did it at 37lbs since I had never done them before. The suggested weight for women was 95lbs - ha! - and for men, 135lbs.)
  • 6 Push-ups (Because of my wrist problems, I did mine on my knees while holding onto dumbbells. My mother put me to shame and actually did real push-ups)
  • 9 Squats
You do each round as many times as possible in 3 minutes. It only counts if you complete the entire round. Then, you get a minute break. We repeated this 4 more times. They then record your score so that the next time you go in and that workout comes up, you can see your progress.

In other words, we were all pretty sore the next day.

But wait! The story's not over yet, folks!

That night, Jason's dad drove in to Port Aransas with the boat. Jason, his dad, my brother and myself went floundering that night. This was interesting. You "troll" around the shallow parts of the water at night, shining light into the water, hunting flounder. When you find one that's the right size, you stick it with a "gig" and haul it in the boat. The flounder were hiding somewhere else, because by 3am, we had only gigged 5 flounder. My brother and I went home to sleep, while Jason and his dad stayed to find some more. They came back in the morning with 4 additional fish, including one that I had already gigged and lost!

My mom cooked up those fish on Sunday and we ate like kings yet again!

The only other event of note that I have been to was my niece's 8th birthday party. This was full of screaming little girls.....yikes! When we arrived, there were about 10 children and adults doing the cupid shuffle. So adorable. When we got tired of the screaming, we left and went home to relax.

And that my friends, was how my awesome holiday weekend went.


Post a Comment

  © Blogger template Webnolia by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP