Book Review!

>> Monday, April 20, 2009


I have finally given in to the Twilight series. I read the first book after some prodding from a friend (or 10). I was against reading it for two reasons:

  1. I don't like vampires. I don't like to watch them or read about them. I can't stand that piercing sound that happens when they bite and I can't stand the sucking. Ugh. Flame me if you wish, but I just couldn't enjoy watching Interview With A Vampire even though Brad Pitt was in it.
  2. It's a tween book that has waaaaay too much hype. I don't like to buy into this and I was afraid that if I read a tween book, I'd be plagued by images of girls worrying about pimples, proms and what other girls/boys think about them. These are things I don't wish to relive!
However, after my friend reassured me that the vampires weren't too "vampire-y" and that it was really more of a relationship book, I reluctantly took it home.

And I read it in two days. It probably would've been one day, but I was forced to go to bed by Jason. I almost hate to admit it, but this book was awesome! I was hooked from the first chapter and I couldn't peel my eyes away. When I had to put the book down, I would think about Bella & Edward and what would happen next. I couldn't believe how I was sucked into the black hole of this book, but I didn't want to be pulled out. I was actually sad the book ended. Now, I have to wait to borrow the next book. I will have to plan a day of nothing to read that one. Definitely pick this book up!!!!


After this book, I read Seizure, by Robin Cook.

If you aren't familiar with Robin Cook, he's a medical mystery writer. His books often have complicated scientific terms in them, so if you're not into that, you might as well skip this book. I've read several of his books and I usually like them. This one took me a little longer to get into, but that might have been caused by just coming off of a Twilight high.

This book is based on a special procedure a scientist came up with that is based on stem cell and research cloning. The procedure had been tested on rats and was found to cure certain ailments in them. However, funding & keeping the research legal was an issue. The scientist and his girlfriend/business partner are convinced to do this procedure illegally in another country by a high-powered, low-profiled politician. I'll leave the rest for you to read!

If you enjoy medical mysteries, then I'd pick this one up. It's not the best one I've ever read, but it was still pretty good. I'm currently reading Eragon and I will let you guys know how that went when I finish!

2 comments:

Faith April 21, 2009 at 8:03 AM  

Yeah, I still can't bring myself to read the Twilight series. I'm going to have to wait until 10 years from now when all the movies are out and they hype has died down. Although then I'm going to be a 40 year old woman reading Twlight. I'm not sure which is worse....

Kate Riley April 27, 2009 at 8:27 PM  

Everyone I know is saying the same thing about 'Twilight' and I'm with you: no tween books about vampires ! But if it's that good, I better read it !

Post a Comment

  © Blogger template Webnolia by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP