Rock on!

>> Thursday, April 30, 2009

I did my new run/bike workout today again. And it went great! I started with a 1 1/2 mile bike (about 6 minutes) and ran a full mile, no stopping (11 1/2 minutes at a 5.2 mi/hr pace). I followed that up with a 5 minute bike (about 1 1/4 mile) then ran 7 minutes. I walked 2 more minutes, then rounded out the mile to finish it in 12 1/2 minutes (5mi/hr pace). I think I could have gone longer than 7 minutes, but I didn't want to overdo it for the last mile. I promised myself that I couldn't take a break before the 1/2 mile mark. I did another 5 minute bike and then had to go fill my water bottle. I sweat a LOT. Especially in hot, humid weather. Oh wait, that's all year long. Finally, the last mile. By now, I'm soaked all the way through. I'm tired. I'm hot.

But I pressed on.

I started running at a 5 mi/hr pace and I felt good. Tired, but not too worn out. Not like Tuesday.

So I ran.

And I ran.

And I finally decided that I should take a break at 9 minutes in. Now I'm kicking myself for not just finishing the whole mile! I walked for 1 1/2 minutes, then finished out the mile for a total of about 12 1/2 minutes again. And when I was done, I wasn't completely exhausted. I felt tired yet energized. Does that make sense? During that last mile, I think I felt what some runners felt: good. They get into their pace and they feel like they can keep going for miles. I felt a glimpse of that. I know it's there inside of me, but I just have to reach for it!

After I finished, I stretched out and thought, "How am I going to get through Muddy Buddy without my iPod?" Seriously, I love it so much and it keeps me going. But I love it too much to get it dirty and possibly kill it. Oh well. I guess maybe following other runners will have to motivate me. Remember people, the goal is to finish and not come in last!

2 comments:

Shana April 30, 2009 at 3:23 PM  

No ipod?!?! First you tell me I have to wear a helment the whole time and now you tell me no ipod! I give up! Seriously, cant we get Jim or Jason to grab our stuff before the mud pit? I still don't know what I am going to do about running shoes that I don't mind getting ruined.

Stephanie April 30, 2009 at 6:07 PM  

You can contact the race people and see if they can get our stuff. I was even trying to figure out if I could hold a plastic bag so I could put my iPod in it through the mud! As for running shoes, I think that if we finish and go through mud, then we deserve new ones! Ha!

Post a Comment

  © Blogger template Webnolia by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP